The South Milwaukee Industrial Museum LLC (SMIM) is dedicated to the historic preservation and archiving of artifacts relating to the equipment designed and manufactured by Bucyrus International, Inc., its predecessor companies, and its merged companies (commonly referred to as Bucyrus).
The Mission of SMIM
The mission of SMIM is to provide the general public with access to the artifacts and the written and photographic records to explore the history, the innovations, and the technology of the machines designed, manufactured and erected by Bucyrus International, Inc., its predecessor companies, and its merged companies (commonly referred to as Bucyrus).
SMIM: The Beginning
The original Bucyrus Heritage Museum was closed in December 2016. About 10% of the items on display were removed and disbursed to other locations around the country. The remaining 90% of the museum’s records, photographs, and artifacts did not have a firm disposition.
In March of 2017 a group of retired and former Bucyrus employees formed the South Milwaukee Industrial Museum LLC (SMIM). SMIM negotiated to retain the remaining Bucyrus Heritage Museum archives and formally accepted responsibility for retaining and recreating a museum and education center to preserve the history of Bucyrus.
The new BUCYRUS MUSEUM webpage is available for preview at www.bucyrusmuseum.org