Preserving the History of Bucyrus for Future Generations
Bucyrus was an American designer and manufacturer of heavy surface and underground mining equipment and construction equipment. Founded as the Bucyrus Foundry and Manufacturing Company in Bucyrus, Ohio in 1880, Bucyrus moved its headquarters to South Milwaukee, Wisconsin in 1893. In 1927, Bucyrus merged with the Erie Steam Shovel Company to form Bucyrus-Erie and is still known to many around the world as B-E. The company took the name, Bucyrus International, Inc. in 1997 to highlight its leading role as a premier global manufacturer of the world’s largest excavating equipment. Bucyrus was purchased by Caterpillar in 2011 and the Bucyrus name was consigned to history.